Courgettes are relatively easy to grow and with this year’s hot weather, we have been blessed with an abundance of them. I have been trying different applications: pasta, stir fry, chutney, and then someone said to me: ‘why don’t you bake a courgette cake?’
Here is an easy recipe for a Lemon Courgette Cake. I hope you enjoy it!
Lemon Courgette Cake
- 200g (7 oz) grated courgette
- 150g (5 oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 125ml (4 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 200g (7 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Drizzle: juice of one lemon and some granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 160 C. Grease a loaf tin.
- In a bowl, beat together the courgette, sugar, egg and oil. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder; stir in the cinnamon and lemon zest. Stir the flour mixture into the courgette mixture just until blended. Pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Mix the lemon juice and sugar and pour over the cake.
Written by Agnieszka Butterworth