We all crave chocolate around this time of year. There are also lots of nice sweet juicy oranges available. Why not make an Orange Chocolate Marble Cake? It is easy to make, takes no time and tastes absolutely delicious. Here is a simple recipe for you.
- 170g very soft butter or vegetable oil
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g self-raising flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 large orange
- 50g chocolate (milk or dark, up to you)
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Grease and line the base of a loaf tin (8 x 21cm/ 2lb) with baking parchment. Beat the butter, sugar, eggs and flour together in a large bowl with an electric whisk or in a food processor until lump free.
- Split the mixture into two bowls, beat the milk, followed by the cocoa powder into one. Beat the half of the orange juice and some zest into the other.
- Spoon alternate dollops of the mixture into the cake tin, then use a skewer to create a marble pattern by dragging it through the mixture in swirls. Make sure you don’t overmix or you won’t see the pattern. Smooth the surface if necessary.
- Bake the cake for 45 – 55 mins until golden and risen, and a skewer poked in comes out clean.
- Melt the chocolate and the rest of orange juice in a bowl over barely simmering water. Use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the cake. Decorate with the remainder of the orange zest.
Written by Agnieszka Butterworth