It has been a very busy year here at Axe Edge Green Farm.
- We opened our two holiday cottages in Peak District in June, and enjoyed a summer full of lovely people staying on our farm.
- A number of new animals were introduced to the smallholding, including Indian Runner ducks, Embden geese, new chicken breeds.
- We planted an orchard with 25 fruit trees and the border of 360 shrubs.
- 17 beautiful piglets were born in our barn and 22 lambs in our fields.
- The polytunnel went up in spring and produced an abundance of vegetables in summer.
- We have made lots of different preserves and are working on our own brand of jams, chutney and pickles.
We have big plans for 2019 and here are some of the initiatives we are keen to work on:
- Introducing goats to Axe Edge and having our own milk and producing cheese.
- Bee hives in the orchard and producing our own natural honey.
- Owl nest boxes. We have owls hunting in our fields and want to make it easier for them to breed. A live camera is part of the plan too.
- Adopting a couple of donkeys.
- Bringing in a pair of emus to roam our 10 acres and chat to our guests.
- Introducing Black turkeys to the farm.
And creating a nature reserve, but it might have to wait until 2020…
The plan is that most of the produce we make on our smallholding will be available to our guests. We also want everyone to be able to experience a variety of animals when they stay in our holiday cottages.