At this time of year, with the abundance of sweet juicy oranges, I like baking a cake that consists of at least one of the two – chocolate or oranges. You might have already seen my Orange Chocolate Marble Cake recipe, here is another winter favourite – Orange Drizzle Cake.
- 160 gr unsalted butter, softened
- 160 gr granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 oranges
- 160 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 50 gr granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170 C / Gas 3 and line your tin. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Whisk the 2 eggs and vanilla in a separate bowl, then gradually beat into the butter mixture.
- Add the zest of 2 oranges, plus the juice of half of an orange and mix thoroughly.
- Sieve in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon then fold in with a metal spoon, then add a splash of milk. Pour entire mixture into lined 450g loaf tin.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until your loaf has risen and is golden brown on the top.
- Prepare the drizzle topping: combine the juice of your remaining orange half with your granulated sugar and a little extra orange zest.
- When you take your loaf out of the oven, leave in the tin to cool slightly for 10 minutes before pricking the top with a fork and then pouring over your drizzle mixture so that it soaks into the sponge. Enjoy!
Written by Agnieszka Butterworth